Saltgrass Printmakers provides artists with a well-equipped studio with production facilities and equipment for relief, intaglio, and screen printing (including photo-based processes).
There are two options available for artists: Key Holders and Limited Access Renters
These printmakers work independently and have their own key giving them 24/7 access to the studio. In order to qualify as a Key Holder, you must have sufficient experience with equipment and processes in the studio. Eligibility is determined based on technical abilities during the interview. Key Holders pay a $100 refundable security deposit, and commit to a 3, 6 or 12 month agreement.
Working Key Holders receive a discount for serving as studio monitors and regularly maintaining the studio. They must exhibit a well-rounded knowledge of printmaking.
Monthly Rates for Key Holders (Working Key Holders)
- 1 Month Commitment: $200/month
- 3 Month Commitment: $175/month
- 6 Month Commitment: $150/month (Working: $120/month)
- 12 Month commitment: $145/month (Working: $116/month)
Rent is due on the 1st of each month. A 3% processing fee will be applied if rent is paid by credit card with Square.
Each Key Holder member will be given a locker and a flat file drawer for personal paper, inks and tools.
How To Get Started:
Any artists who has experience as a printmaker has the opportunity to rent time at the press.
- To access Saltgrass Printmakers’ facilities, an artist must have sufficient technical knowledge to work in the studio independently and safely.
- Individuals will need to demonstrate an appropriate level of experience in one or more printmaking techniques: including relief, etching, monotype, screen-printing or letterpress.
- For one working session, new members will be required to print under supervision to ensure that they are familiarized with studio practices and with the equipment.
Monthly membership fee cover all in-house materials such as acids, solvents, cleaning solutions, rags, and any other chemicals required.
Members are responsible for supplying their own matrices, paper and inks.
Limited Access Renters
Daily Rental: $35.00/day
These artists work independently during open studio hours when a studio monitor is present.
Open Studio Hours: TH/F/SAT 11am to 4pm
Saltgrass Printmakers Printing Equipment
- 2 Etching presses – 26”x48” Takach press, and a 32″ x 60″
- Vertical ferric chloride etching tanks – 18″ x 24″
- Metal plate cutter
- Paper soaking tray – 32 ”x 24”
- Assorted hand rollers and brayers
- Ink additives and transparency base
- Chandler & Price guillotine paper cutter – 30” x 55”
- Drying rack 24” x 32” and drying blotters 40”x 24”
- 2 Hot plates 11”x 20” each
- Screen vacuum printing tables 31”x 41” and 40”x 41”
- Screen coating room and coated screen storage closet
- Washout area with power spray washer
- 30”x 21” Aluminum screen frames – 200 to 230 mesh count
- Screen emulsion
- Screen coaters
- Assorted squeezes
- Assorted half tone screens
Photo Exposure Equipment
- NuArc 40-1K Mercury single point light unit 33” x 40” with vacuum frame
- Each member is given a locker and a flat file drawer for personal papers and tools.